Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chapter 4.2

Chapter 4.2
Pandora

Pandora closed her eyes to block out the pain of the Emperor's words as they rang in her ears. She felt so much sorrow for Erista and for Serene. They had to deal the man far too much for Pandora's liking. All and all, despite the fact that the guardians hated her, Pandora had an easier job. She did not have to convince a man she despised of her undying loyalty. Instead she just had to get a woman she honestly wanted to protect to trust her.

There was conflict, but if Pandora dwelled on it she would simply kill Vandan and call it a day. It was a shame that Serene wanted to destroy him. Pandora had no idea how she was going to accomplish it though. He was not some merchant to plant bad evidence on. She had to convince him that everything was his idea and that it was a good one and everyone else was being difficult.
Pandora sat down and Topaz situated himself so that his head was in her lap.

“I am glad you are here, my dear,” she said to him in quiet draconic. “You keep my from going insane.”

“I wish I could stay with you,” he said so quietly that she could barely hear him, much less make out what he was saying.

“I wish you could as well,” she admitted and stroked his head and scratched behind his ears. “I miss the others.”

“Me, too, I wish I could talk to Tokyo.”

“I know, me too. His wisdom would be appreciated about now.”

Pandora winced when she heard Erista cry out in pain after a loud smack. She had no idea what they were doing in there, and she did not have the courage to see if he was beating her or just being rough during sex. What would she do if he was hurting her? One did not raise her hand against an Emperor. She had never had a situation like this covered before.

Topaz slicked back his hears and his lips wrinkled into another snarl. “I do not want him touching her,” he said.

“I know, but hush or you will attract the attention of the others that live in this suite.”

He snorted and slid his head out of her lap to lay down at her feet. His snores were soft when he drifted off to sleep soon after, but it did not cover the crying. How he could sleep through something like that was beyond her. It was not a moment after his grunting that he walked out while situating his night gown. Pandora rose to her feet and bowed to him as he walked by her. He barely afforded her a glance.

She glared hard at his back and then stepped over Topaz. She entered the room and shut the door behind her. Topaz did not need to see her like this. It was shameful and too adult for a child's mind to grasp.

Pandora said nothing as Erista cried into her pillow. The devastated girl made no indication that she even knew that Pandora was in the room with her. Right now Pandora could not play guardian. Instead she decided that her role must be friend and comforter. She poured the water from the pitcher into the wash basin and carried the bowl and towel to the side of the Empress's bed. She laid it down on the stand and sat on the side as she had before.

She opened her mouth, but could think of nothing appropriate to call her. She was not acting like the ruler of a country, but she still was one. Instead she simply touched her shoulders and whispered gently, “There now, my dear,” as she would to the children. “All will be well.”

“Amazon?” she whispered.

“Yes,” she said softly. “Now, dry those tears and we will get you cleaned up.”

“You should not see me like this,” she said.

“I am to be with you always,” Pandora said, “I will see you at your best and your worst. This is between the two of us, though I would gratefully castrate your husband for what he has done to you.” She pulled back the sheets and felt a sudden burst of heat escape and strike her face. She winced back.

“Is it so terrible?” Erista asked.

“It was just hot,” Pandora explained. “Are you all right?”

“He was very rough with me,” she said. “He has never been gentle. But this was brutal.”

“Did he strike you?” Pandora asked with a frown.

“Not where others could see it,” she said, “And no place that would harm a child.”

“That leaves him rather limited,” Pandora said and cleaned the young woman gently. She flinched away at first, but then relaxed. “Should I have stopped him?”

“No, he would have had you executed and beat me even more afterward,” she said. “He is an evil man.”

Pandora agreed but did not respond as she desired, “It is dangerous to say such things. He could have someone listening in on us.”

“I am so tired, Amazon,” Erista said.

“Then sleep,” Pandora said and started to move away. A cold, clammy hand stopped her. Erista's fingers were tiny, delicate things, just like Serene's.

“Just between us, yes?” she asked.

Pandora nodded. “Just between us.”

“Would you have breakfast with me? I know it is against protecol, but I like you, Amazon, and I so want a friend.”

“Your wish is my command.”

“Do not say that!” she said desperately. “No, I want you to be my friend, because you want it, not because I'm...your goal in life, but because of me.”

Pandora hoped that her expression was not too sad. She did not want the Empress to think that she pitied her. It could not be helped though. As far as pitiful went, Erista was it. “I do like you, too, and it pains me to see you suffer. I will not slack on protecting you though. My hands and feet are always at your service.”

“Do you ride?” she asked.

“I have not in years,” Pandora admitted. “But I suppose it is much like anything else.”
“We should go for a ride. Perhaps you play cards?”

“I have not in years.”

“You have been living in primitive society, haven't you?”

“Oh, far worse. I have not been living in society.” Pandora wiped away what was left of Erista's tears. “You should sleep. You will need your strength.”

“Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?”

“I will be with you all night,” Pandora promised.

“No,” she said with a shake of her head. Her disheveled hair clung to the pillows and made Pandora smile. “I want you to stay right there. It brings me comfort. Will you?”

“Certainly,” she agreed. And she did.

Erista fell asleep shortly after and Pandora made sure to tuck her in nicely. It was a comforting action and one she missed. She almost leaned down to kiss her forehead as she would with the children, but stopped herself and sighed.

The door to the room opened and Pandora looked back and frowned. Matiline was glaring at her from the door. She was wearing a plain white shirt and a pair of black trousers. It was a bit rumpled and made her look washed out even in the dim light.

“I need to speak with you outside,” she said quietly.

Pandora did not want to risk waking up her charge, so she stood and walked away. Before she left the room she glanced back to make sure that she was still soundly sleeping. She quietly shut the door and turned to Matiline just to see a fist come flying at her face. She instinctively bent on her side out of the way, but it grazed her ear and it smarted. Her fist hit the door with a loud thunk and she pulled back her hand and shook it as if it would force the pain out.

Topaz was on his feet and growling at her but Pandora ordered him to stand down. Matline was still glaring at her. “If you woke her up.”

“I didn't,” Pandora said quietly. “If she wakes it is your fault.” She shook her head and felt her eyes water. “You will not try and strike me again or I will make you regret it.”
“I am the captain.”

“I don't care,” Pandora told her. “People do not strike me without consequences, and there will be consequences if you try and hurt me again.”

“And what about that damn dog.”

“If you manage to survive your attempt I will gut you,” Pandora told her with the scariest smile she could muster. “Go back to your room.”

“You are not to get comfortable with her,” she hissed.

“And why not? You will not be a friend to her. Someone must be.” Pandora calmly straightened her uniform. “She wants my friendship, and I will not deny her. She is lonely and so am I. She offers me the joy of her companionship and I will not tell her no and break her heart.”

“You are a fool,” she hissed. “You will only cause yourself pain.” She massaged her wrist and flexed her fingers. “Mark my words you will.”

“Go back to bed, Matiline,” Pandora said again.

“This is not over.”

“It is tonight. Now go to bed.”

“It is not over until I say it is over,” she said with deadly quietness, but she hesitated when she started for Pandora. Pandora stared at her blankly. It only made her face turn red. “You will not get involved. No one is to get involved.”

“You forget yourself, Matiline. We are more than her body guards. We're supposed to be the people she can trust in all things.” Pandora shook her head. “Go to bed and let me complete my shift in peace.”

“Do you think you can stop it?” she asked, her hand still trying to work away the pain.

“Stop what?”

“The rapes,” she said and her eyes were wide now. “The rapes will continue. They'll continue until you're insane and he'll come to you.”

“What?” Pandora asked, genuinely at a loss.

“You heard it. I woke up because of it. I woke up because of her screams and crying. There is nothing we can do to stop it. None of us can stop it. It will drive us all crazy to care. It will.”

“You are already crazy,” Pandora told her sadly. “Go to sleep and do not let things trouble you.”

“It is not that simple,” she said. “It never will be. He raped her, and she was a true Empress. She was everything fair and graceful. She was lovely and divine, and he drove her to her death and I could not stop it. Do not love her. She will do the same.”

“Matiline...”

“Don't,” she said. “Just... don't.” The woman drew her hand close to her chest and left her to quietly brood over what had just occurred.

No comments: